Stay Gas Safe with Hannah McCartan

McCartan Lettings & Property Management Specialists, Killay, Swansea

Last month saw the sixth annual Gas Safety week – when organisations across the UK work together to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances. Hannah McCartan director of McCartan Lettings explains the importance of gas safety certificates for landlords.

mccartan-picIn the last year, at least 55,200 homes in the UK escaped deadly gas incidents thanks to engineers switching off dangerous appliances. With 22 deaths and nearly 1,000 gas-related injuries reported in the last three years, more still needs to be done.

McCartan Lettings pledged its support for Gas Safety Week last month, and is keen to raise awareness of gas safety and urge the public to support the most vulner-able in society, to help keep them safe from dangerous gas appliances.

The sixth annual Gas Safety Week saw organisations from across the UK work together, to encourage all gas consumers – whether landlords or homeowners – to arrange an annual gas safety check.  Poorly main-tained gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

McCartan Lettings were recently asked by a landlord to market their property as the current tenant had plans to move out. During due diligence checks carried out by McCartan, it became apparent that the gas safety cert-ificate for the property had expired six months previou-sly. When the registered Gas Safe engineer visited the property, they discovered a leak behind a wall in the kitchen that, if left, could have caused an explosion.

When ordering gas safety certificates for their managed landlords, McCartan Lettings only instruct registered engineers, and have recently put in place a system to automatically email their specialist let-only landlords when their gas certificates are up for renewal to ensure that this doesn’t happen again.

“We were really proud to support Gas Safety Week and to be helping raise awareness of the importance of annual checks with registered engineers,” says Hannah, McCartan MD. “As part of our full management service, we work with landlords and tenants to ensure checks are carried out every year, and any issues involving gas are resolved quickly. Though we insist on seeing a valid gas safety certificate at the beginning of each tenancy for our specialist let-only landlords, the on-going safety and maintenance of their properties is beyond our control. We hope that our new notification system will help those landlords to stay compliant, too, and encourage them to check the credentials of their engineers.”

For more information on gas safety, or if you would like a recommendation for a Gas Safe registered engineer, give McCARTAN LETTINGS a call on 01792 430100.

Sources: www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk  / www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/tables/ridgas1.xls

 

Tips and things to look out for:

A lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue flame, soot or staining on or around the appliance, and excess condensation in the room are all signs that you may have an appliance that is faulty.

Carbon monoxide has no smell, taste or colour. The symptoms of CO poisoning can include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness, all of which can be easily mistaken for something else.

You can sign up for a free annual gas safety check reminder at www.staygassafe.co.uk.

Reach out to those who need help keeping gas safe at home – make sure they have checks booked, or sign up for the check reminder on their behalf, so the reminder is sent to you each year.

When instructing an engineer, ask to see their Gas Safe ID card, and check that they are covered to check or fit the appliances in question. Anyone working on gas appliances while not being Gas Safe registered is working illegally, and can be reported for investigation by the Gas Safe Register.

 

All Articles