This is the sort of recipe that can be made so quickly from store cupboard ingredients. Prawns are always worth keeping in the freezer to add a bit of luxury to a mid-week meal, and feta cheese keeps for ages in the fridge.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 can Mutti® Finely Chopped Tomatoes (14 oz., Polpa) Available from La Parmiagiana culinary causerie food and drink
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 lbs extra-large raw prawns, peeled and deveined
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Preheat an oven to 350°F.
Warm the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and cook onions,stirring occasionally until soft, 7 minutes. Increase the heat to high and stir in tomatoes, water, oregano, red pepper and vinegar and stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer until thick, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the heat.
While the tomato sauce is still hot, add the prawns to the sauce and stir together. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into an oven-proof baking dish distributing the prawns evenly. Crumble the feta onto the top. Bake until the prawns are pink and cooked and the sauce is bubbling around the edges, about 10 to 12 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.